Student Studying

The second semester has started in full. A new batch of classes may bring a new batch of stressors, but they don’t need to overwhelm you. You can make this semester a breeze if you take the right steps.

Get a head start on your organization with these four habits.

Remove distractions while studying

When push comes to shove, we’re all at college to learn. The best way to do that is by going to your classes and studying what those classes cover.

However, studying for three to five hours a day creates plenty of opportunities for distraction. That’s why you should remove these distractions before they ever become a problem.

Take note of every pet peeve and intrusion affecting your study time. If you catch yourself messaging friends instead of reading, turn off your phone. Better yet, don’t even bring your phone with you. If you distract yourself with aimless web surfing, download a website blocker. If you find that your typical study place is too noisy, find a quieter one.

Those interruptions may bite into your study time now, but you’ll be learning like a champ once they’re gone.

Write down tomorrow’s schedule before sleeping

Ancient mankind invented the written word to better remember everything, so take advantage of their ingenuity.

Writing down important tasks both jogs your memory and creates some form of accountability. After all, it’s harder to procrastinate on something when you’ve set aside a specific slice of time for it.

Creating this catalog specifically before bed also offers benefits. It not only provides a way to calm your mind after a long day, but it also ensures that you end the day planning for tomorrow rather than worrying about yesterday.

Meditate six to ten minutes a day

A calm mind is an organized mind. Meditation is an easy and effective way to reduce your stress levels and train your mind to focus.

That’s because you spend six to ten minutes focusing on nothing but a single task: breathing. It’s simple. Just sit down, close your eyes, take deep breathes and focus on that breathing. Whenever a stray thought enters your mind, without judgement upon yourself push that thought to the side and refocus on the calm rhythm of inhaling and exhaling.

It’s an easy but effective ritual. Once you’re done, you’ll be ready to tackle any task with decreased stress and a greater ability to focus.

Schedule and prioritize your health

There are only 24 hours in a day, so you simply can’t do everything. However, you can plan around this. Distinguish between important and less important tasks while plotting out your schedule.

School and work-related tasks will be among those important tasks, but pay special attention to your health. Set aside specific times to eat, exercise and sleep. When those times arrive, make it a priority to do those healthy activities. You may get more work done in the short run if you ignore your health. However, the long run toll on your mental and physical wellbeing are not worth it.

No matter what else happens, set aside seven to nine hours for sleep and at least 45 minutes for exercise. All the while, make sure to consume your daily caloric requirement.