Today is National Best Friends Day and if you're in Knoxville, here are some ways you and your best friend can celebrate your friendship. 

Museums:

Check out the Knoxville Museum of Art’s new exhibit of Scenic Impressions: Southern Interpretations from the Johnson Collection, which features impressionist portrayals of the American South. Not only would you get to see beautiful depictions of our beloved south, but you would also get in for free. 

If you and your BFF are more of history buffs, the East Tennessee History Center is hosting the Knoxville Walking Tours, in which storytellers walk you through the streets of Knoxville while telling the history of the city. Tours include “The Literary Heritage,” which tells about Knoxville writers and literary characters, “The Shadow Side Ghost Tours,” which tells of local ghost sightings and restless spirits in downtown and Old City.

Outdoors:

If you and your best friend bond the best hanging with Mother Nature, there is plenty to do. Ijams Nature Center will be hosting “Nature at Night: Sunset Stroll.” This family-friendly event lets attendants be a part of the wild nightlife, whether if it’s through a hike or a picnic. 

If both of you are feeling up for a drive, go to Gatlinburg and spend the day at the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The national park offers several trails with different difficulty levels and views in the Gatlinburg area, such as Abrams Falls and Rainbow Falls.

Music and Food:

If you and your BFF want a day full of music and food, the Secret City Festival in Oak Ridge’s A.K. Bissell Park is where you want to be. Combining art, history, science and different food, the festival celebrates its city of Oak Ridge. Musical guests include Dennis Deyoung And the Music of Styx and Little River Band. 

If you both are busy during the day, Friday night is booming with different events! Metalheads can get tickets for Anthrax and Testament, who are performing at the International.

Country rock band the Matt Hickey Band will be giving a free concert at Wild Wings Café, while Unaka Prong, a band described as having a “sonically unique identity,” will be performing at the Preservation Pub. Meanwhile, the Virginia-based folk band

The Steel Wheels will be performing at Open Chord Music, with tickets costing $15.

Shows:

If you two want to go simple, have a movie night by going to see Ocean’s 8 for a fun friendship-themed movie. 

If you two don’t want to look at a movie screen all night, go to the opening night of Tennessee Valley Player’s production of Into the Woods, a musical full of classic storybook characters with a twist.

Sports:

Get tickets for the TN Smokies vs. Birmingham Barons game and enjoy a night full of baseball, hot dogs, nachos and fireworks.

Or go bowling at Maple Hall or Fountain Lanes Strike and Spare or play mini golf in Pigeon Forge. 

Campus News Editor