Three is a magic number

The state of Tennessee is divided into three main regions called “Grand Divisions:” west, middle and east Tennessee. East Tennessee is often said to be the most appealing of the three with mountains, river and rugged hills garnering thousands of tourists each year. The region can also be split into three: the Cumberland Plateau, the Tennessee Valley and the Unaka Mountains.

Slow down, cowboy

Catching a fish by lasso is illegal in the state of Tennessee. A Tennessee code monitored by the Fish and Wildlife Commission forbids the use of anything other than a rod and hook when fishing. Tenn. Code Ann. 70-4-104 was originally passed in 1951 but has been revised as late as 2012. That means sticks of dynamite, lassos, spears or any other devices you can think of are strictly prohibited.

Mmmmm, roadkill

If you like the taste of skunk, squirrel or raccoon — with undertones of asphalt — you're in the right state. A special thanks goes out to Knox County Mayor Tim Burchett who sponsored a bill that allows Tennessee residents to eat an animal if a vehicle has accidentally run over it. Burchett supported the bill as a state Senator in 1999. The bill became a law soon after.

Weather permitting

Gatlinburg, Tennessee is home to the largest artificial ski resort in the world. Ober Gatlinburg Ski Resort has over 5 acres of land for your skiing, snow boarding or tubing pleasures, regardless of the weather. Ober is open 12 hours and offers several other features, including a ski mountain coaster, scenic chairlift, ice skating rink and wildlife encounters.

As far as the eye can see

The largest underground lake in the United States lies under the city of Sweetwater, Tennessee. The 13 acres of water is part of a tourist attraction known as “The Lost Sea Adventure.” The lake is also the second largest non-subglacial body of water in the world. The Lost Sea earned its name after fossils of an animal were discovered in 1939 at the site. The animal was thought to have gotten lost in the expansive underground cave nearly 20,000 years ago.

Elbow Room

Tennessee shares its borders with eight states — a trait only one other state also has. We share the love with Kentucky, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas and Missouri.

The Great Smoky Mountains

The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is the most visited park in the United States, ahead of the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone. It attracts between 8 and 10 million visitors each year. The park has over 800 miles of hiking trails and up to 80,000 different types of plant and wildlife species.

TVA: not just for Tennessee residents

Housed in the central part of East Tennessee, the Tennessee Valley Authority offers electricity to nearly 9 million people in seven southeastern states. It runs solely off of revenue from electricity sales and does not collect any tax payer dollars. In addition to providing electricity, the corporation also offers flood control, navigation and land management.

Rock City B*tch

Located atop East Tennessee's Lookout Mountain, Rock City brings in thousands from across the globe. The popular tourist attraction and nature spectacle offers a peak to see seven states that Tennessee shares a border with at world famous Lover's Leap.