In honor of Earth Day approaching, the month of April is seen as a month of environmental awareness. All over, people strive to stay environmentally friendly by reducing waste, using earth-friendly alternatives, sharing messages of positivity towards the earth and enjoying the beauty of the outdoors.

If you can't enjoy outside because of rainy, cold weather or want to want a glimpse into the most wild and wonderful places all over the world, here are a few shows and movies to watch that encapsulate nature.

Planet Earth (2006, 2016)

No other documentary compares to “Planet Earth.” The show began in 2006 and has some of the most incredible cinematography of close up wildlife and elements in nature. The second season, “Planet Earth II,” came out more recently in 2016.

Both seasons of “Planet Earth” show up-close and detailed imagery of the world from mountains, jungles, remote islands, desert plains and grasslands. The focus is the vast wildlife within those places, showcased from the tiny locust to the frightening snow leopard. The sights in “Planet Earth” show how our earth is far more fascinating than any fantasy world we could imagine.

“Planet Earth” and “Planet Earth II” are viewable on Netflix

National Parks Adventure (2016)

For another documentary about some of the beautiful places out there is “National Parks Adventure.” The film displays our National Parks and the natural wonders of our own country.

Narrated by Robert Redford, the documentary follows a trio of adventurers (a mountaineer, adventure photographer and artist) as they hike, climb and explore the parks. It also revisits Theodore Roosevelt's historical camping trip when the Park System was born. It was filmed in 2016, to celebrate 100 years since the parks were opened.

The use of IMAX 3D cinematography gives a perspective of red rock canyons, mountain peaks, glaciers and more in Yellowstone, Yosemite, Glacier National Park, Redwood National Park, the Everglades and Arches. National Parks Adventure was filmed to celebrate 100-year anniversary of the national parks. While it is action-packed, it's also a thoughtful reflection on the wilderness and what it means to those who explore it.

National Parks Adventure is also viewable on Netflix.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013)

For a fictional take that displays nature in an incredible light, watch the “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.”

The comedy/drama feature a middle-class, middle-aged character named Walter Mitty. Mitty is an employee at Life Magazine, where his job is the mundane task of developing photos. To mentally escape the everyday, Mitty constantly imagines himself in exciting daydreams in which he is the hero. Many of his daydreams feature a fellow employee from afar named Cheryl, who Mitty is love with but feels both shy and unworthy to talk to. When Life Magazine announces their final issue, Mitty gets his first chance for his first real life adventure. As he searches for the lost perfect cover photo for the final issue, he must brave the world in new ways.

With beautiful shots of Iceland and beyond, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty not only shows the power and beauty that nature can have on our perspectives but challenges watchers to get out there themselves.