Infinity War

A couple years ago, I was telling my friend about how “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” was the most anticipated movie of all time and that nothing would ever top the hype of the return of everyone’s favorite heroes from a galaxy far, far away.

But when I said that, I forgot about “Avengers: Infinity War.” 

Long story short, the movie is unbelievable. So much happens that I still cannot believe it, days after my first of many viewings. 

For a movie of this scale, with ten years of build-up behind it, it is unprecedented. The film is the nineteenth film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and ties all of its characters and plot lines together for this incredible culmination of what Marvel Studios has been teasing since 2008’s “Iron Man.”

“Infinity War” tells the tale of Thanos, a tyrant from the planet Titan, who seeks to collect the six Infinity Stones in order to put into effect his terrible plan of rebalancing the universe. It is up to the Avengers and the Guardians of the Galaxy to fight Thanos and his minions in order to prevent Thanos from exacting his plan. The result is a battle that has not only the fate of the Earth in uncertainty but the universe and existence itself.

Over the course of almost three hours, “Infinity War” makes good on its promise of everything it has been promised to be. Over the last eighteen movies, fans have been complaining that stakes are never too high in Marvel movies. 

The stakes are not too high in this one. Within the first fifteen minutes, this movie sets itself apart from the other movies in the MCU by setting the tone of the movie quickly, a move that the film uses to its benefit. The film delivers a gut punch in the opening minutes that shows no one is safe.

While the movie is titled “Avengers,” it is very much a movie about Thanos, played by Josh Brolin in a motion-capture performance. With perhaps the most screen time in the movie, the big purple bad guy steals every scene he is in. While rooting for villains is usually frowned upon, you cannot help but understand his motivations for wanting to wipe out half of the universe’s population.

“Black Panther” brought us Erik Killmonger, portrayed by Michael B. Jordan, a villain whose reasonings for his motives were entirely understandable and led audiences to relate with him. Jordan’s portrayal led Killmonger to becoming one of the best-loved villains in the MCU, alongside the likes of Tom Hiddleston’s Loki.

Thanos tops Killmonger, Loki and whoever else you can think of. With such a sinister goal as he has, I could not help but empathize with him, especially as he explains what led him to doing what he does. Throughout the movie’s runtime, there are moments where we can understand his point-of-view and understand his pain when he has to make sacrifices along the way to complete his goal. 

Marvel Studios will have a very hard time making a villain better than this, or even coming up with another big bad to take his place when the Avengers presumably stop him in the next Avengers film.

What this movie also does exceedingly well is take all of its properties and fit them together in one movie, whether it is the spacefaring Guardians meeting the earthbound Avengers, Spider-Man becoming more than a neighborhood hero, or even Thor going on a cosmic adventure with the Guardians. While the previous Avengers movies have done a good job of bringing all of Marvel’s heroes into one movie, this movie does it perfectly and then some.

At the end of the movie, once the credits have finished rolling and the post-credits scene is over, the movie will leave viewers thinking of “The Empire Strikes Back.” I will not go into any more than that, but the fourth Avengers will be a very long and difficult wait for Marvel fans.